ENGL 21001 Portfolio: Ashley Delgado Lopez

Home Page

Self Assessment

It is always fascinating to see how much one has progressed throughout a course. The progress being made would mainly be about the writing and writing is important because one should be able to organize their thoughts and ideas about a topic and be able continue to speak about said topic.This English course has helped develop my skills in writing especially with the drafts that we have started off with.The drafts are helpful since we get to put down all of our ideas and thoughts into one document and then organize them until we get the final draft that we have wanted. These drafts are also being helped develop by our peers and professors who are thankfully peer reviewing our work. Every comment counts in order to make our writing a better version of itself. These drafts have helped me realize my weak points and how I should fix them. Those weak points consist of the way that I need to analyze my work, being able to develop the argument that I am making, and being clear in my writing. 

During the visual essay assignment there was a lot of trouble with writing my analysis but I was able to develop that piece of writing and correct the mistakes I have made. During the writing of my visual essay I was not able to connect back to the image that I created for the argument that I have made in my first essay. I was having trouble with analyzing my visual and connecting it back to my audience but after I received the comments from the professor I was able to fix most of the mistakes. I was able to create another version of the piece that explained the visual more deeper than the first. That was positive progress that was built up and it helped realize that I need to work on this weak point. 

When writing my opinion editorial I was not being clear enough when explaining the issue and was not putting enough of my opinion in the essay. I see now that I was having a lot of facts in my essay but not enough of my thoughts and contributions. Since that is my weak point I am now able to reflect back on it and be more mindful of what the instructions for the essay are. 

The critical analysis in my opinion would be the most challenging assignment out of all the others just because there was a lot of information to touch upon. At first I did not understand the assignment but then later I understood what was being asked of us. But even with that the argument that was being made needed to be developed one way or another. The argument had to be going somewhere with analysis helping explain how it goes back to the main topic. I did try my best at explaining and analyzing since it is what was missing in the second assignment. But now I understand that more was needed to this third essay which was being able to develop the idea of the argument and connecting it back to the main source that was chosen. For this assignment I also needed to find relevant sources and I had trouble with that when it came to the ccny library but with the right keywords I was able to navigate through it. It just took practice and patience to get the sources that I needed.  Overall, this course helped me reflect on the things that I need to work on in order to make myself better in writing. I am glad that I have made progress in the writing that I have been giving in since you can actually see change from the first draft to the last draft.